article_detail
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE WITH US

  • Home
  • Spanish News
  • Covid 19
  • Property News
  • Motoring
    & Travel
    • All Motoring & Travel News
    • Driving In Spain
    • Spanish Motoring Laws
  • lifestyle
  • Travel & Tourism
  • Art & Culture
EDITIONS: Murcia Today Alicante Today Andalucia Today
article_detail

The church of San Agustín in Fuente Álamo


The parish church of Fuente Álamo is devoted to Saint Augustine

The church of San Agustín in Fuente ÁlamoThe Iglesía de San Agustín lies at the heart of Fuente Álamo, its belltower dominating the skyline above the Rambla del Fraile, which runs through the heart of the town. The church has been constantly remodeled at various points throughout its history, the latest renovation being the belltower in the 1960s, although as recently as 2011 the Plaza and areas surrounding the church were re-modelled to create a new pedestrianised zone.

History

(Click here for a history of Fuente Álamo)

The first religious structure in Fuente Álamao would certainly have been a very simple chapel, which was enlarged in 1583, and an inscription which has survived in the choir tells us that the first tower was completed in 1621.

The church of San Agustín in Fuente ÁlamoThe settlement was awarded the status of "villa" by Felipe IV in 1634, although the decision was opposed by Murcia, Cartagena and Lorca, all of which hoped to continue reaping benefits from the administration of the locality. The independence of the "villa" was not renewed until 1702 (by Carlos III), although the question of administration remained and an unsatisfactory system of alternating turns among the three cities was instigated.

In 1783 a new door was opened on one side of the church, and in 1820 Fuente Álamo was proclaimed a municipality in its own right.

The church was badly affected by fire at the start of the Civil War in 1936, and among the items destroyed were images, altars, the organ, the pulpit and the tabernacle. Towards the end of the War the church was used as a prison, housing the prisoners captured during the sinking of the Castillo de Olite, Spain's worst shipwreck disaster, in 1939.

The basic structure of the building remained intact, as was the case with so many other churches throughout Spain, but in the 1940s it was necessary to purchase new furnishings and images, with the help of donations from the general public. Replacement sculptures were commissioned from Murcia sculptor José Sánchez Lozano, (see the Conjunto Monumental San Juan de Díos in Murcia) and include San Agustín and the Virgen del Rosario, patrons of the town, and a Dolorosa.

The current bell tower and clock were completed  in 1963.

Fuente Álamo celebrates its main fiestas in honour of San Agustín on and around 28th August.

Mass times 

The church of San Agustín in Fuente ÁlamoTuesday to Friday 19.30

Saturdays and the days before religious holidays 20.00

Sundays and religious holidays 9.30 and 12.00.

The church is open to the public on Mondays from 9.00 to 13.30: from Tuesday to Saturday 9.00 to 13.30 and 18.00 to 20.30 and on Sundays and religious holidays from 9.00 to 13.30.

Telephone: 968 597077.


article_detail

article_detail
Contact Murcia Today: Editorial 000 000 000 / Office 000 000 000
Terms And Conditons | Privacy Policy | Legal | About Us | Advertise With Us